This week's opponent is the Red Hawks of Miami No, not the fun place in Florida with the beaches and clubs. This place:
|Which way to the beach?
Going into this week I was aware of two things Miami Ohio related. First, current quarterback Zac Dysert played as a freshman and did pretty well in spot start situations for my fantasy college football team. Second, Wally Szczerbiak played there before having a mediocre career in the NBA. I thought about matching up Zombie Bronko against Zombie WallyWorld, but then my buddy Swan informed me that Wally is still alive. My bad, Wally. Given my limited knowledge, I went back to the trusty internet for my information.
|I would be remiss if I didn't include a Shannon Szczerbiak Pic
Instead of a blog, I found a Red Hawk football message board: Miami Hawk Talk Here's a list of things I've learned from the board:
- "RedSea" says the Gophers could be looking at a 0-12 or 1-11 season.
- Several posters including "redskins4ever" have noted that they should throw a lot against the Gophers. They're on to us!
- MrG" fancies himself an Xs and Os guy. Uses words like "weak side" and "SAM".
- There's a lot of gnashing of teeth over the Gold-Out. Gold-out video being called "stupid". "Muhawk" questions why a gold-out for an unranked non-conference opponent. Because we can, Muhawk.
- The "predict the score" thread has two pages of homer picks and one rebel that picked Minnesota to win. "Elpalito" points out that collegefootballnews.com has the Red Hawks winning 24-21. Oh crap.
- Sounds like the Miami Ohio offensive line is on the small side. Does this mean the Gophers can finally bust through for a sack? Holding my breath.
- There are numerous comments about how brutal their kicker is. This is definitely a plus if this game is as close as I think it may be.
- DL Mwanza Wamulumba is likely out for the season with a torn Achilles tendon. Not sure if this guy is any good, but that's an all-world name. Try yelling it out loud; it's fun. MWANZA WAMULUMBA!
- "We beat Minnesota on Saturday...straight up....so the bet is a "lock." Your farms will reap great harvests...especially with all the added land you should acquire...This line having us at +5 is as close to a lock as you can get...." I imagine this guy looks and talks like Kane from Poltergeist. Come to the light, Carol Anne.
- The last time Miami won in the stadium of a non-conference opponent was at Colorado State (41-21) on Sept 20, 2003. Since that time, the Red Hawks have lost 14 consecutive non-conference road games. IT'S A TRAP!
|Typical MiamiHawkTalk Poster
Zombie Bronko Rating
This is going to be a tough opponent for the Gophers. Dysert can throw the ball for sure. This game would be a great time for the defensive line to step up and put on some pressure. Perhaps some madcap blitzing would help. I'm giving Miami a 2.5 ZB rating. By all accounts they are a better team than last week's opponent; and I think most of us are trying to forget what happened there.